Monday, January 21, 2008

Thing #6 Mashups and 3rd Party Sites

CampusExplorer is an example of a mashup I can see being very useful for my kids. Search for your future alma mater by location, degree type or area of study. They include a Google Map with your search results.

Of course, I had to make some things using the fd flickrtoys. There's a picture I took a few weeks ago while we were at the park of a very small snake in the process of attempting to eat a much larger (but still pretty small in the grand scheme of things) tree frog. The snake's ambition, while slightly nauseating for a semi-vegetarian, was admirable. So I had to make one of those motivational posters out of the picture. I also created a librarian trading card and put it on flickr. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm much more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it, hence the avoidance of my real image in any of these fun little tools and apps.

I wanted to Simpsonize myself for the card, but no matter what image I tried, I couldn't get the website to accept a picture and allow me to Simpsonize it. The South Park tool was much easier, though the bobblehead nature of South Park characters means that it looks nothing like me (as if a Simpson's version of me would be spot on :) ).

All in all, I've been enjoying going deeper into the tools I've been using already and learning about some new ones that I hadn't explored quite yet.

And finally, here's the South Park avatar that I used for the librarian trading card:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey chica. I like your new site here. It's very inventive. Keep on posting and I'll keep reading!

Have fun on your first official day as a Librarian.