Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Thing #2 My reactions to advice from life-long learners

I'm going to begin with a recap of the habits and my thoughts as I was going through the presentation:

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning (an investment in your future)+
Habit 3: View problems as challenges (choose your attitude)
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner (what you say about yourself becomes true)
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox (books, tech, mentors, friends, web pages)
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage (to make your life easier--audiobooks)
Habit 7: Teach and mentor others (best way to learn is to teach)
Habit 7 1/2: Play--most important.*

+easiest
*hardest

I think that the hardest thing for me will be the play habit. I have been in the mode so long of work, work and more work that I feel like it's going to be hard for me to break out of that mold. At some point, whether it was during grad school or the years of the daily grind in "Corporate America," I lost that instinct we all used to have to turn anything into fun.

I was hard-pressed to come up with the easiest. Other than 'play,' the other habits are already in my toolbox, for the most part. If I get off track, it usually only takes a meeting with peers who are also enthusiastic to get me back on track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you have overcome your problem with "play" by joining us for some fun! Looking forward to what you find interesting & useful.